I just returned from Lake San Antonio and I sit here with an aching back and neck, sore muscles, slightly sunburned skin, and a smile on my face. I love the lake.
As we drove through the campsites and headed for the dock, we rolled down the windows and took deep breaths. There is nothing like the smell of the lake: water, sunscreen, dirt, trees, and maybe just a hint of bathroom.
Growing up, I took it for granted that we could choose a day, escape the coast, join friends, and head inland for a change in scenery. It is one of the simplest, and sweetest, vacations!
Wakeboarding until your knees shake and you just can't pull your legs up to get anymore air, tubing until your elbows and knees are raw and you just can't hold on anymore, lounging in the boat until your skin is pink and tight and you know that "lobster red" is only minutes away.
And just like there is nothing like the smell of the lake, there is also nothing like the smell of the ocean. As we pulled off the freeway and drove the few blocks home, we once again rolled down the windows and inhaled...salty, damp, fresh. We are blessed to call Santa Barbara home.
No comments:
Post a Comment